Bishop Westcott Girls’ School was founded by Rt. Revd.(Dr.) Foss Westcott in 1921. Formerly an Anglican School, it now belongs to Chotanagpur Diocese (Church of North India). It provides education through the medium of English for over 2000 children, of all communities as boarders and day scholars. The Chairman of the Governing Body is the Bishop of Chotanagpur Diocese, Church of North India. The school belongs to the conference of Anglo-Indian Schools and was recognized by the then Govt. of Bihar. It is subject to inspection by the inspector of Anglo-Indian Schools in Jharkhand.
The School is situated seven kilometres from Ranchi on the healthy Chotanagpur Plateau at an altitude of 2,000 ft. The school buildings and the playground are spacious. The aim of the school is to give sound education in order to develop the whole personality providing best opportunity for mental, physical, overall growth and moral development in each child. Children are encouraged to become responsible and self reliant and are taught to consider the needs of one another both in school and in the larger communities to which they belong. The main goal of our institution is to inculcate in a child, the respect for all in society, towards religion and other communities, this, thus develops in a child the basis of life, trust in God, and a sense of responsibility to all mankind. A high standard of behavior is maintained and children are taught to give due respect to their elders and to appreciate and regard the opinion of others. Thus discipline plays a vital role in our institution.
Rt. Revd. (Dr.) Foss Westcott,
Bishop Westcott Girls School, Namkom.